Resources > Grad CRE Notes
New! Web Lab with interactive simulation of dynamic reaction-diffusion in a porous catalyst.
These are links to resources for a graduate course in CRE. Topics include dynamics of CSTRs, surface reaction kinetics, reaction and diffusion in porous catalysts, and reaction and diffusion in Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD).
Dynamics of reactions
- see CRE Notes, 15 – CSTR thermal effects, for dynamics of this reactor type
- Pendulum notes – simple mechanical oscillator used as analogy
- Pendulum web app – Warning – may take several minutes to download and launch (opens in new tab)
- Oregonator oscillating reaction model – description
- Oregonator – waves
Free online material by Scott Fogler (link). See especially Chapter 12, Diffusion and Reaction in Porous Catalysts.
- Pore size distribution
- Surface reaction kinetics – simple cases – deriving rate equations given a mechanism
- Surface kinetics and SSA – applying the Steady State Approximation
- Surface kinetics – detailed
- Ammonia synthesis mechanism
- Ammonia synthesis kinetics
- Methanol synthesis kinetics >> also see these examples (link) of fitting data using Matlab >> also see Resources, CRE Notes, 13-A – methanol reactor model
- Reaction and diffusion in porous catalysts
- Diffusion resistance in methanol synthesis catalyst pellets
- Dynamic reaction-diffusion in porous catalysts – research paper
- Non-uniformly active catalysts
- Effectiveness factors greater than one
- Mass transfer coefficients in packed beds
- Intro to CVD – general overview in photos
- Thermal oxidation of Si wafers
- Simplest model of LPCVD wafer-stack reactor
- LPCVD of polysilicon in wafer-stack tube reactor
- Boundary layer solutions
- Reaction and boundary layer solution
- CVD reactor with wafer setback and slant
- CVD stagnant film notes
- Dimensionless groups and their meaning
- Characteristic values of some transport properties, boundary layer thicknesses, etc.